Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Lowly...

THE LOWLY…There’s an interesting part of the Christmas story that we often overlook. It’s the fact that the Christ-child was born in a ‘lowly’ town, in a ‘lowly’ animal hovel, laid in a ‘lowly’ manger and visited by ‘lowly’ shepherds. It might seem like an over-use of the ‘lowly’ theme, but I didn’t write the script for this story…God did! He chose all these lowly components to tell us something. HE LIKES THINGS LOWLY! How’s that for stating the obvious…
“I will remove all proud and arrogant people from among you. there will be no more haughtiness on my holy mountain. Those who are left will be the lowly and humble, for it is they who trust in the name of the Lord. ~Zephaniah 3:11-12
See I told you, God likes lowly things. And there are hundred of cousin verses just like this. He chose the pentacle moment of earths history to state it again. He literally wrapped the incarnation story around the ‘lowly’ theme. It was the atmosphere He wanted His son birthed into. In fact, in some way He wants all of our lives to be touched by the richness that comes from ‘lowly’ moments. There is great blessing here. For it’s only then that we learn true dependence upon God. It’s only then we learn what real rest feels like. When every visible thing around becomes lowly…we finally look to the invisible God. AND WE FIND HIM! If it was good for the Christ-child…it’s probably good for us. Can we ever learn to embrace the ‘lowly’ parts of our life? Blessings await! ~verlon

2 comments:

  1. haugh•ty (hô t )
    adj. haugh•ti•er, haugh•ti•est
    Scornfully and condescendingly proud
    hau•teur (h -tûr , -t r )
    n.
    Haughtiness in bearing and attitude; arrogance.

    Is it arrogance, haughtiness, attitude, and pride when one becomes so singly focused in their pursuits, though well intended, that it becomes something at the exclusion of all else and everyone else except in their choosing or device?....Christ came to save the excluded not create more at the expense of others....This seems to confound many observers in his time. His willingness to bring salvation to anyone and everyone willing. Tax collector, rich man, even (AD) a temple priest such as Saul.."Why do you persecute me". (Or) One being stoned.. "You who is without sin cast the first stone." So I'm not throwing stones..You know he gets angry at the exploitation of those that come to God at the temple too though. Can't serve two God's it must be "all" of the one...There is one thing I really find profound about Christ's birth.. Jesus and his willingness to come down to earth., Feet firmly on the ground we all walk on, and just be one of us....That's a get real and get him, I pray we all find...
    (And Paul said,) "I would to God, that not only thou, but also all that hear me this day, were both almost, and altogether such as I am, except these bonds."KJ...Least and Lowly...Just cool..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Division: in this God prevails, we do not, and it's his job...49 "I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled? 50 But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished! 51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division: 52 For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. 53 The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law." (Luke 12:49-53)
    Division is a funny thing...I would not like to wake up one morning to find myself divided from, numbered as one, and divided through my own blindness that I have kindled..Cut from the flock by his Sword for me means...On his side as one who serves and not of my own choosing of a side to serve least thee be divided.....Love thy neighbor and your enemies alike equally....We don't take sides....We are straitened in our alacrity, compassion ,love ,peace, and the unity of our fellowship till it be accomplished as one in him....To divide the flock is only to be divided of yourself from him....God abandons no one and I trust in the name of the Lord...
    And Now I sing in prayer..."Silent Night"
    MERRY CHRISTMAS ONE AND ALL... (without exception.....)

    ReplyDelete