Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Story About My Mom...

My mother is 87 years old and lives alone in Salem Oregon. A couple months ago, she came home to find her home had been broken into and a couple thousand dollars worth of things stolen. The thieves were caught, and one of them, a young woman was being sentenced this past week. My mom was in attendance and when the judge asked if she wanted to say anything, she stepped up to speak. Rather than addressing the court, she turned to the girl who was sitting behind a table wearing a prison jump suit with her hands and feet in chains and mom said, “you probably don’t have a grandma do you?” The girl nodded no. “That means you probably don’t have anyone praying for you today.” At this the young woman broke into sobs. My mom continued, “well you got a praying grandma now, and I’m going to be praying for you from here on. Here’s what I’m going to pray for, I am going to pray you meet Jesus, and I am going to pray you have the courage to follow Him out of this hole you are in and that you’ll never end up back here again. I am going to pray that you keep following Him right to heaven. I don’t know how much longer I have to live on this earth, but when I am done here I am going to be in heaven. And I really want you to be there with me. You and your new praying grandma have a date.” And with that she sat down. The court room sat silently as the prisoner wept. It turned into one of those profound and divine moments. I am proud of my mom! ~Verlon

No comments:

Post a Comment