Sunday, May 23, 2010

A Dollar And A Stick...

Over 30 years ago I drove to a family reunion. It was a great weekend of laughter, BBQ’s and Frisbee golf. On Monday morning as I packed up to drive back to Seattle my 2 nephews came running up to me. I had played hard with those two young boys that weekend, we’d had a lot of fun wrestling, and running. I was their ‘big uncle’. Now that it was time to say goodbye it was emotional. One of them started crying and reached into his pocket and pulled out a dollar bill and handed it to me. I tried to give it back by telling him I made plenty of money at my job. But grandma intervened and said, ‘you take that dollar and let him tell you that he loves you like he wants to’. I did. Then the other nephew stepped up. He loved me too and felt the emotion of the moment, but he didn’t have a dollar, so he just gave me the stick he had been playing with all morning. As I drove away from that campground that day, I had a wrinkled dollar and a 6” dirty stick laying on the dash of my car, but to me it meant a great deal, it meant I was loved. The gestures of love we offer aren’t always big are they?
“The priests must not treat with irreverence the holy offerings of the Israelites that they contribute to God.” ~Lev. 22:15
God pays great attention to the gifts and offerings we give Him. He revere’s them, honor’s them, hold’s them close, and never allows them to be disrespect. Our Lord is listening for every expression of love, even if it’s just A DOLLAR AND A STICK! ~Verlon

No comments:

Post a Comment