Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Not Fair...

There are many things about life that aren’t fair. There are many people we encounter that when we need them to watch out for our interest, they just don’t. Tom Peters says, ‘the thing I like about life is it’s so totally absurd’. That makes me laugh. If we don’t laugh at the absurdities, the ‘no-shows’ of people will drive us nuts. Yet in the face of these inequities there is a God that pays attention…
“For 20 years I’ve done this; I slaved away 14 years for your two daughters and another 6 years for your flock and you changed my wages ten times. If the God of my father, the God of Abraham and the Fear of Isaac, had not stuck with me, you would have sent me off penniless. But God saw the fix I was in…” ~Gen. 31:40-42
In short, Jacob was being treated unfairly by his father-in-law. He could have got all wrapped up in the frustration of it, but he just endured it. In so doing he learned a valuable life lesson. He saw that God was working to bless him even though his father-in-law wasn’t. This a lesson we all need to learn. The people around us might be looking out for their own interests only, but God is faithfully focusing upon our blessing. This might come as a surprise, but you don’t need the blessing of others to walk in warmth and favor. God’s love for you is breathing blessing and favor into you every day. That leaves us with a choice, we can walk quietly in the warmth of God’s favor, or we can become sullen by everything around us that is NOT FAIR. ~verlon

No comments:

Post a Comment