Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Story About My Dad...

My father passed away 5 years ago, but he left many images of strength and character behind for me to draw from. One such memory comes from my high school days. It was towards evening and my father and me were standing near the garage door. He could see I was troubled and asked what was up. I spilled out a litany of bad breaks that had happened to me in that last week. I had girl problems, car problems, friendship problems, school problems and a general sense that nothing was going well. His answer to me was both short and surprising helpful. He patted me on the shoulder and said, “Son, tomorrow is another day”. He didn’t even have to interpret the phrase for me. Somehow his stance and his eyes did that. I instantly got the point that sometimes we just have to admit that this day is a bad one, and look to tomorrow when we’ll get a fresh start with fresh optimism. I remember waking up the next morning with dads words in my mind. He was right. I indeed felt different than I did when I went to sleep. I have remembered that short lesson many times over the years. Sometimes we need to stop fretting over and trying to fix today, and instead decide to wake up to a new tomorrow. I appreciate what my dad breathed into me…and still does. I miss him. God did a great thing when He designed life to include the strength of dads. Happy Fathers Day to you all! ~Verlon

No comments:

Post a Comment